COLUMBUS, Ohio — Erick Smith’s Ohio State career has been confusing. Speaking last weekend about being in the mix for the open safety spot this year, Smith brought up his injury past and the effect it’s had on his ability to compete. The way Smith said it made it seem like he had suffered the injury last season: “It feels good to be back out there, man,” Smith said. “After my injury or whatever, it feels good to recover and be back out there.” When a guy hasn’t played much of a featured role, he tends to get lost in the shuffle a bit. So the way Smith said that made sense, and you can quickly trick yourself into thinking Smith has some sort of injury-riddled past that’s kept him from being anything more than a special teams player. You could lump him in with his former Glenville High School teammate…
- Ohio State men's basketball | Postgame blog: Buckeyes rally to beat Stanford in PK80
- Ohio State will honor Terry Glenn with helmet decals in ‘The Game’ on Saturday
- Seidel's picks: Will Michigan football be run off field by Ohio State?
- Miami loss removes College Football Playoff obstacle for Ohio State
- Pittsburgh Upsets Miami, Bolstering Ohio State's College Football Playoff Hopes